Thursday 11 December 2008

Amy, Sharon, Woolies and the great technophobe

Isn't technology grand when it works? When it doesn't, as it hasn't done here for the past week, then all you want to do is throw the greatest strop and chuck the bloody thing out of the window!



I've had trouble since last Saturday with Broadband, or whatever it is. So far as I'm concerned, I want to get online when I want to. My laptop has developed a mind of its own and decides when and if it wants to connect, therefore creating within me the maniacal monster who just wants to scream and hissy fit around when I can't do what I want. I therefore realise that I'm addicted. Like so many others. I've not been able to post my blog or read my mail or keep up to date with Amy (nothing happening there. She's been in hospital for the past almost two weeks. I wonder why. No one seems to know but Sharon's still been blaming Blake and pretending that it's all his fault that Amy's a junkie. Yeah...)



Surprisingly people are still checking here, notwithstanding that nothing new's been put up. Sorry about that folks. Not that there's nothing happening outside these walls. Continual war in the Sudan, cholera in Zimbabwe - what an unblessed country; Chinese dissidents incarcerated into mental asylums, reflecting those long lost days of the Stalin era; recession, depressions and freezing fog. And finally the lovely Sharon, the head of Haringey social services, given her marching orders. She'll have to wait until she's of retirement age to claim her £1.5 million pension. Shame, poor love...



And it's back to the Christmas adverts but Woolworths have gone under and 25,000 are about to be made redundant and this government is still intent on throwing more money at the banks for them to sit on it like penguins and the markets remain stagnant. It just doesn't make sense to this technophobe, who had to spend three hours on the phone to various bods at the BT call centre in Chennai, waiting to receive instructions on how to get the connections working again. Thank goodness to the last guy, whose name I wasn't presented with at the beginning of the conversation that lasted over an hour, while he oh so patiently led me through each and every prompt and installation technique available to the common man. How do they know all this stuff? It all baffles me although, to my great merriment, he did in fact tell me that I'll be able to teach this stuff now myself! That's a laugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad someone else is like me......tecnical IT problems and I am reduced to a screamming harridan! Still apart from the crispy cold weather which always gladdens my heart the sight of that smug, hard hearted Shoesmith being given her marching orders also made me feel better.

That said unless they get some sensible people with real life experience into social services and other careing bodies then we will continue to hear of tragedies.

We need to move away from this hideous culture of tick boxes...blame off setting and back to letting people interact and CARE for their fellows.

Ros Morris said...

'Well, I'm not going to resign,' she said! Thank goodness they got rid of her but not before she's done so much damage...

I don't know how they'll be able to encourage people to train to be social workers - not unless they create a soap on tv where trainee social workers are considered 'sexy'...

Anonymous said...

That does seem to be the problem, we are living in a time where people can only relate to things by what they are show. I.e like you said with the TV show. As well as the fact that the general youth of today would much rather sit around watching day time tv and smoking than train for a job.

It's a sad state of affairs. I feel as though England is on such a decline. Even in the past 10/11 years there has been such a rapid change in society that the population has just become apathetic and clearly uncaring about the way we are treating our children. For a start look at the child obesity rates, the child drug use.... I could go on.

Personally I think this government has a lot to be blamed for.

Easy-hit-Counters.com