Wednesday 9 December 2009

Climate change, courses and Zach

It's extraordinary how time flies. I can't believe that it will be Christmas in two weeks. Where does it go? Of course, it doesn't feel too much like Christmas because it is so mild this week. We've had mild Decembers before, of course. I don't buy into 'Climate Change.' The climate changes. That's life. A bit less pollution. A few less forests in the Amazon chopped down. Less building along low slung beaches in the Far East could help but it's all such hypocrisy for these thousands of 'enviornmentalists' to fly over to Copenhagen, rent copious amounts of limosines, eat and drink and make merry and spend OUR money doing it, and then piously tell us mere mortals what to do and how to lead our lives. And as for recycling our slops - do me a favour! Rant over. Two minutes. Is this a record?

I see that the UK is still lagging behind in the heart and cancer leagues. Not surprising when so much of the NHS budget is wasted. The graft that goes on is in a league of its own. All very well being proactive in screening but what do we do when we have a patient with symptoms? I think that there are so many well meaning people in the NHS who would love to do a good job but their hands are tied by managerial tampering. It's jobs for the boys. Oh dear, another rant...

An update on Zach: He's still good. Says that he's still taking his meds. Looks fine. Has put on weight. He's applied for a course and hopes to hear back this week to see whether he's got on it. Hope so. Will open all sorts of doors for him and it will be good for him to have something to do on a daily basis that will involve his intellect.

I also participated in a course yesterday. Now I know more about cancers than I really wanted to know and their treatments. It's fascinating but frightening but the knowledge that there are cures is a bonus. Maybe I should pursue it more proactively. Could I manage yet another degree course? Medical ethics sounds interesting... We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Climate change a natural phenomona.......
Glad to hear that Zach is still on the road to recovery, hope the course comes off, it will give him some direction and goals from the sound of it.
Interesting article about Mental Health Teams in Camden in today's Guardian supplement!

And now I am working in mantal health trust and trying to change things from within.......anarchy!!!!!

Ros Morris said...

Thanks for that anonymous. Will check it out. Is it possible to change anything in a mental health trust? Gosh. I wouldn't think so. Best of luck trying to do that.

Anonymous said...

Well I am subversive to say the least!!!!! Have the problem with mental health staff is that they dont really see things from the perspective of patients, their families and carers....If I can only change some hearts and minds then I know I will have made a difference......a steady drip drip drip finally changes things.

Easy-hit-Counters.com